Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap


With all of the buzz on the social media sites about today being February 29th, I started thinking about the word "Leap" and why "Leap Year" is just that, instead of, say, "Jump Year".  The official definition for Leap (used as a verb) is "to jump or spring a long way, to a great height, or with great force".  When compared to the definition for Jump- "to push oneself off a surface and into the air by using the muscles in one's legs and feet"- to Leap is clearly more powerful and impressive.  Jumping, by definition, is restricted to the power and ability of the "muscles in one's legs and feet".  To me, it sounds as if "Leaping" is like "Jumping" to the 10th power...almost like there is something supernatural or extraterrestrial about ones potential ability to Leap. 

You might be wondering right about now why this could possibly be important.  After all, isn't this merely semantics?  Well yes...and no.  I am at a stage in my life where just Jumping is not serving me as well as it use to.  In fact, it's not serving me at all.  My back story goes like this: I was a professional ice skater for over 12 years.  I taught many areas of skating on ice (beginner classes, power skating, etc.) but I really loved teaching figure skating.  More specifically, Freestyle.  Freestyle is what you see when you watch figure skating on TV or in ice shows.  It is skating set to music and features great costumes, fast spins and footwork, and breathtaking Jumps...not Leaps...Jumps.  Jumps that are completely created by a skater taking technique he or she has learned over the course of many, many years and combining that with pushing "oneself off a surface and into the air by using the muscles in one's legs and feet".  Add a couple of rotations mid air before your blade returns to the ice and you've got something that a pretty small percent of the world's population can do.  For a fraction of a second you win over the strict laws of gravity.  For a second, you fly.

I do not Jump anymore.  Not long ago I was diagnosed with an illness that compromises my ability to skate much, let alone do the Jumps I pursued for myself so diligently for years and years.  I fear the Jumping years are over for me, but what about the Leaping years?  The beautiful thing about Leaping is that, according to the definition, the ability to Leap doesn't appear to just come from "the muscles in ones legs and feet".  As I stated before, Leaping appears to have some supernatural force that causes one "to jump or spring a long way, to a great height, or with great force".  Coolness.  This is something I can work with.  So what is my catalyst?  My supernatural force that will carry me a long way, to a great height, with a great force?  That would be my Jesus.  While I have watched the demise of many dreams and plans over the last few years, most notably being a skater and coach, God has helped me Leap past the restrictions of illness and circumstance.  He has carried me a long way to a great height.  With Him, I have Leaped far into a life that I couldn't never imagined for myself.  A life of being a student at a prestigious university, soon to be a published writer, an advocate and speaker for victims of rape and domestic violence, an artist, and a worker for an international non profit who's goal is to fight all forms of violence against women, worldwide.  Oh, it hasn't been an easy Leap.  I can't say it even happened in one Leap.  However, it truly was His power and "great force" that carried me through and continues to carry me onto each next Leap.  

I have to ask myself every day, "Are you content with Jumping today Lisk?  Or do you want to take a Leap?"  I remember how frightening it was to learn a new Jump in skating.  Life Leaps are even more scary.  But when I choose to Leap I allow God to catch me and carry me as far as he sees fit.  Much farther than I could with my own very finite power and strength.

I have some big Leaping to do in the next 3 months.  I would ask you if you would, please pray for me.  Pray that I don't let my fear limit what God wants to do in my life.  Pray that this is my Leap Year.


 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love word studies and what we can find when uncover just the right word! Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie!! I hope this is you Leap Year too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Here is a wonderful blog post written by my brother in Christ of 20 years, Robert Mauti. We are also both figure skaters and have coached...